Bachelor of Arts in English
English is one of the oldest and most prestigious majors at
Mount Saint Mary College. The English major seeks to enhance the
student’s understanding of language and literature. It is designed
to expose students to the range of literature across the ages.
English at the Mount
English majors may
- participate in the preparation of their own literary magazine,
Keys to the Soul
- join our popular Creative Writing club
- study abroad in our summer program in Oxford
- combine a bachelor of arts in English with a master of science
in publishing in just 5 years
- become eligible for Sigma Tau Delta, the International English
- write for the student newspaper, The Clarion
- participate in student theater productions
- join student - faculty book clubs, etc.
Combined BA in English with an MS in
Publishing from Pace University (a 3:2 year collaboration
English majors can also major or minor in Media
Studies/Production, Public Relations
and other liberal arts majors, or minor in Theater Arts,
Many English majors seek early Childhood or Adolescence Education
certification, or pursue graduate degrees in
The English major requires 39 credits (24 required credits, 15
elective credits). Prerequisites to the major include the
successful completion of ENG 1010 and ENG 1020, as well as a GPA of
2.0 or better in ENG 2040, Introduction to Literary Studies. A GPA
of 2.0 in the major is required.
Where Mount students have interned
Magazines, newspapers, publishing houses in New York and New
The English major is a gateway to graduate school, careers in
publishing, library science, elementary teaching, high school
teaching, journalism, etc.
Graduates have pursued degrees at Columbia University, New York
University, State University at New Paltz, University of Virginia,
Other graduates have pursued law degrees, careers in publishing,
teaching and school administration, public relations, advertising,
editing, library science, etc.